Lentil Soup Soup/ Sopa De Lenteja
45 hours, 30 minutes
- 16 oz bag of lentils
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 14 oz sausage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 whole diced onion
- 6 diced garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 12 cups of water
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the sausage and cook until slightly browned, tossing occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic, and sauté for about 3 minutes while scraping the bottom of the pan to get the browned bits, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the chicken broth, water, lentils, salt, pepper, and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, partially cover the pot, and allow to cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- At the 30-minute mark, add the potatoes, red pepper flakes, and carrots.
- Cover the pot and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes (in total, it should take 45 minutes to boil once you add the lentils).
Leave a Reply